Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Who are you?

     Who are you Mama? Where are you going? What will you be when you get there?

I was a stressed out mom, but I have peace. I am a content mom.

I am going where He leads me. I have relinquished the control I thought I had. (Nothing like your husband leaving for a year in Iraq to help you adjust your priorities.)

I don't know what I'll be, but the beauty of loosening the grip of "control"? I don't need to know. It's not my place or even desire to know any more. I'm just grateful to  be on the right road. Knowing that where I end up is not placed on MY shoulders? Oh, I wish you could know the peace that brings, because I can't even put it into words.

I spent a lot of time trying to find my place in the world. But really maybe my place is place-less. The Bible says we are to be in the world, not OF the world. It's clear to me now, but it's been a rough road to reach this conclusion.

I cannot tell you how comforting it is to be content with who you are and where you are. I know where I am is a great place to be! And that realization has rooted me in all areas of my life-especially my appearance.

My style in a nutshell:
Clean, classic Americana. I love fitted tops, jeans, a-line skirts and dresses. Cowboy boots, roomy bags, big sunglasses. I love retro references, but I don't love wading through 300 vintage dresses, only to find that the one I can't live without has pit stains!

I love heavy cat eyes, but they're not the most flattering on my eyes and my husband isn't a fan, so I kinda dropped those.
I adore my freckles, and usually go for a very natural face.
I don't do anything to my hair but comb it since it's longer now and I'm trying to grow it a few more inches. I baby it with John Frieda Root Awakening shampoo and conditioner.

I believe that accessories really make (and remake) the outfit. I have a ton, but tend to wear the same ones for a week or two, then move onto something new. Which is usually something old. Yep, I pretty much recycle  from my own stash.

What I ALWAYS go for: black, charcoal, gray. Dark denim. Leopard, but only of it's more classy than trashy. (It's a very fine line!) Vintage and retro items as they meet these requirements.

I SPARINGLY add in cherry red or jade green. But not at the same time! A little color goes a long way with a neutral background. It really does take center stage, so you don't need much.

NEVER: Light denim, heavily whiskered or faded on the thighs denim. Frumpy cut denim. Denim vests, hats or bags. Really, it should be on your legs or a classic jacket. Keep it simple and classic. Athletic sneakers worn for non-athletic activities. And Wal-Mart does NOT qualify, even though it always feel like a mad rush. Sorry!

All this to say: I know what I like, I know what works for me. And by sticking with this simple palette and mix and match separates I know I can easily add in similar things for a lot of variety. It gives confidence to KNOW.

Feeling good about who I am affects the way I present myself. Just as my emotions affected my appearance when I felt really, really bad about myself. Parenting is not easy. But God has released me from so much pressure and given me so much joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment