Sunday, July 17, 2011

Well, SOME people...

"Well, SOME people feel like they have to make birthday cakes from scratch."
"SOME people feel like they have to wear make up every day. SOME people even wear it around the house!"
"SOME people feel like they need to exercise and be skinny, wear nice clothes, eat out and waste money, drive a cute car, decorate the whole house for Christmas, dress their kids in matching outfits for Easter, give their kids a bath every night, use real beach towels at the public pool (instead of the most threadbare KMart towels left over from mom's college days, so no one will "steal it").

You know what? I always fantasized about living in "SOME peoples" house. I dreamed of having a real birthday party, with hats and favors even, of making Halloween costumes from more than threadbare towels and electrical tape and a 20 year old tempera set, which had been given to us because all the good colors were used up. I dreamed of picking out a new pair of shoes because I liked them, not just because "If I'm spending 50.00 on shoes, they have to last through you and the next three girls too!" (read: ugly!)

I desired a swim suit with a pattern I didn't hate, without a pilly bottom. Going to the Chocolate Moose and getting something besides the free torch we got coupons from at the doctor. I had a sense of pride about that-although Mom never minded that he gave us enough coupons to go twice, I did.

I wanted a doll house that wasn't just cardboard boxes and contact paper. Clothes that I liked-not all hand me downs my grandma had bought at garage sales.

I wanted to MATTER!

And I am here to say: I pray that my kids think I am SOME people. I fervently want them to know that they MATTER. To me, and to God.

I hope that they think, "SOME people's mommy's don't make them dresses, birthday cakes, and paint their rooms pink, but my mommy loves me enough to do that for me. SOME people don't get to go to the fair, get cotton candy, and ride the rides. SOME people aren't allowed to paint their nails, or play Play-Doh, or use glitter because they might stain things. SOME people have to sign a contract to borrow the car, only visit on Sunday after 5, and never feel like their parents actually take the time and effort to enjoy them. I am SOMEone! If mom and daddy love me this much, how much more God must love me!"

In hindsight, I think my mom felt less confident than I do and maybe that's why she made remarks about people who did things differently. Maybe she wanted to be some people too. Maybe she was really glad she was too practical to be some people.

In hindsight, I know that I will not be HOME til I get to heaven, and I realize that is the deep cavern I have in my heart. I want to be HOME. Not the viper pit of fighting and dirt and selfishness that is this world, but my eternal home that my Father has waiting for me. I know it will smell good, with soft clean sheets and fresh flowers. I believe that my heavenly family, although much bigger than the one here, will all get along and really love each other. Because heaven IS perfect.

In the here and now, I exhort you to be the SOME people God made you to be. Live it up! Let your daughter paint her nails (and yours) Passion Purple. Let them enjoy you. Enjoy them. You only have a little time to make a lifetime's impression.
Love hard. Be KIND. Be generous! Put your kids first in DEED. Don't let it be all about you-you will regret it someday. And your kids will too.

So put on a pretty dress and take your kids to the park. Take some pictures to capture the day (candid-no posin')

Have a tea party in your living room.

Pretend the bath tub is the ocean, the sand box is the beach, the trip to the grocery an adventure.

Let your kids see that the Lord is GOOD. Let Him fill you up to pour out good things for the children He has given you. And soak 'em!

2 comments:

  1. i can't stop thinking about this post! i'm not sure what i want to say, or even how i want to say it, but i'd like to offer another perspective.

    a lot of your post was about material things, and i, too, grew up without tons of "stuff". but despite that, i never felt less that completely loved. i believe that even without a lot of monetary resources, you can show your children your love for them and that they do indeed matter. my parents did a great job at this, and i'm getting to practice it now. lol.

    i understand (even more now after reading this) that much of this was woven together during your childhood, so it's probably hard to separate things.

    just wanted to share my first impressions after reading it-3 times. :-)

    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I agree. I think her post was about values and family life, and her examples included material things as an outward sign of what might have been going on around her. Just think about her life now and I think it puts things in perspective. Anyway... just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete