Thursday, January 30, 2014

DIY piniatas


I have a plan. I'm going to love-bomb my kids on February 15th. Heart donuts for breakfast, and all that. But I'm gonna kick the party off with homemade piniatas hung over their doors when they wake up!
Here's the deal: I made 3 and filled them for 10.00. And spent an hour total doing it. 
You'll need a hot glue gun, a glue stick, ribbon or string, scissors, tissue paper, and white paper. I used sketch paper. 
First flatten 3 sheets of tissue paper and cut down the middle, longways. 
Then cut that into three strips. 
Hold the ends together and pull them tight, to flatten the wrinkles.  
Then start cutting your fringe! I spaced mine about 2/3 of an inch apart, leaving about an inch at the top uncut. 
Now, cut your hearts! I cut one heart, then folded it over another piece of paper to trace the second one. This keeps them even. 
Now, use your glue stick on the heart, then stick the top of your fringe on! Start at the bottom and work your way up. Trust me!

Once you've finished, trim the excess tissue paper from the top, so the shape will still show. 
Using your glue gun, make a line of glue on one inside heart, most of the way around. Leave enough unglued that you can fill it! Quickly attach the other inside heart. 
Now for the fun! Start stuffing your piniata!

Using hot glue, seal up the top 
Then punch two holes at the top of the heart, tie on some string  or ribbon, and you're ready for action!

No comments:

Post a Comment