Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The meaning

A lot of people are curious about my tattoo. Some friends and family even allow their little kids to poke it, pet it and interrogate me about it, acting as though I'm "asking for it" by having it on my body. (Not cool.)
I'm most frequently asked if it hurt, but the second most common comment is that it's a truly beautiful tattoo (usually implying that most aren't, but the commenter makes an exception for this particular piece.)
And I honestly do appreciate the tat love. But isn't it so true that we are judged on appearance first? Most people don't ask the meaning, but quite a few are very interested in the story. Most are shocked to learn that it is...
...based on this Picasso sketch called Dove of Peace. And the story is extremely personal. And I guess I haven't told to many people, and typing this right now my heart is pounding and I feel a little adrenaline rush! But here is the story of "The Bird:"

I got this to outwardly honor two people in my life, my husband and his grandfather. At the time, Rett, my husband, was serving his first tour in Iraq. His "papa" had passed away the day before he left. So I drove with my little sister to the funeral in Lynchburg Tennessee, while my husband flew to Iraq. I was totally smacked in the heart. I really respected, admired and flat out loved papa, he was truly a great man, a kind man. And I had known far too few great men in my life of 23 years. Papa was in the Air Force for 30 years.

And it's pretty obvious, but I dearly love and respect my husband, more today than ever before. He is currently serving another tour for OIF. He never complains, never makes a big deal about it one way or another.

I'm pretty sure a lot of my in laws would think I was even weirder if I told them the why, and quite a few others would too. But it is intensely meaningful to me, a reminder of what we are sacrificing for.
It is a tribute to some pretty awesome guys! In fact, Clementine's middle name is Edward, in honor of papa Ed. And sometimes I like to annoy my mom by making it "fly!" (That's kind of an inside joke, but if you know where The Bird is and use you imagination...you'll get it!)

I'm dying to know...do you have a tattoo? Tell me all about it!

2 comments:

  1. I have 4... all with their own meanings. I probably, much to my mother's chagrin, will not make it to my 40th bday without 3 or 4 more. They are a way of marking (quite literally) a significant time, thing, person, memory for me. My largest one is of a pink dogwood branch across my shoulders/back. I struggle with a lot of self-image (and some self destructive behaviors as well) issues... and the dogwood, while beautiful, well... that beauty only lasts a short time before the blooms fade and fall away. A good reminder to myself that my "blooms" are not the best thing about me... to build a good sturdy trunk and have deep roots - that is more important. Anyway... love tats. Love the history of them. Oh, and love making the joke that in my old age my dogwood will most likely look like a weeping willow. ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the tattoo and the meaning!!!

    ReplyDelete