Monday, July 11, 2011

Red hot beauty!

I would say I’m natural but with a little craziness. Normally I don’t wear a lot of makeup, so in order to stand out I might put on a brighter lipstick or do some fun eye makeup like glitter, or a cat-eye.
For makeup, I am really inspired by advertisements and then I take the dramatic look I see and translate it into something more wearable. The Sephora catalogue is really great eye candy, but I also love watching Youtube, which is especially great for tutorials when you aren’t sure how to do something, or you want to get a realistic review on a product before buying. (So true. I've become addicted this week!)
As my family would tell you, I’m not much of a saver. I normally buy my cosmetics from Sephora, because I love that you always get free things and you can return ANYTHING (opened or unopened), in store. So I would say I splurge more on my eye basics (mascara, eyeliner, concealer), primers (eyes and face), and moisturizer. I would recommend drugstore brands of face powder/ foundation, lipstick, and blushes and bronzers. You can probably find about the same quality of luxury products in drugstore products, but you just have to look harder.
A lot of people don’t realize it but primers help a lot. (True!) They help makeup last all day, so if you don’t want to reapply, they are a must. Invest in a good eyelash curler, they really do make all of the difference. I know that as you get older you feel less comfortable wearing flashy makeup, even I can’t pull off some of the things I used to wear. But You really need to feel good about yourself. If you’re in a makeup rut, get a bright red lipstick, or try a new shade of eye shadow. If you don’t feel comfortable wearing bright makeup on your face, try a new nail polish. The Sinful Colours line (Target, Walgreens) is $2 a bottle and they come in a lot of fun colours. Nail polish is a great way to make an outfit look more interesting.

A lot of people are scared of makeup and they really shouldn’t be. There are many ways you can brighten your look for very little money. If you’re unsure of how to wear a product or a new look, go to a makeup counter and ask for help (they’re usually very nice and will normally give you samples if you ask), or watch a tutorial on Youtube. Make sure to do you’re research before buying a new product and never be afraid to try something new or crazy. In this day and age, there are so many tools available to help you look fabulous while on a time and money budget. Good luck!



Start out with a fresh face. I use LUSH’s “Angels on Bare Skin” cleanser ($11). Instead of foundation I use Urban Decay “Urban Defense” tinted moisturizer (I bought through Hautelook for $10, orig $30). It’s a little too intense for me so I alos mix it with my normal moisturizer, Clinique “Moisture Surge” ($25). Then I use Smashbox’s “Photo Finish Foundation Primer” ($16). If you don’t use powder or foundation, you can use the primer only where you will be putting concealer or blush. Next, if my face has a little shine I use E.L.F.’s powdered “Foundation” ($5). I use Bare Escentuals’ “Bareminerals SPF 15 foundation” ($25). Then I use Shiseido’s eyelash curler ($19) followed by Urban Decay’s “Big Fatty Waterproof Mascara” (also bought on Hautelook for $7, orig $20). I prep my eyebrows with Maybelline’s “Great Lash clear mascara” ($5), and use Clinique’s “Brow Shaper” ($15). Then I use Laura Gellar’s “Blush-n-Brighten” (I got it through Birchbox which is $10 a month, orig $28), and finish by using E.L.F.’S studio blush in “Candid Coral” ($3). This may seem like a lot of money, but I splurge on the essentials because I know I’m going to use them every day and get my money’s worth.

 Thanks Val!

No comments:

Post a Comment