Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Be who you are

     Part of developing personal style {a BIG part} is defining who you are. Once you are comfortable in your own skin, you can start to feel confident in your choices, decisions and preferences.
       A big part of the package is feeling confident in choosing your friends. Choose to be with those girls that you feel secure and comfortable around. Girls that lift you up, and that you truly value. A good test of true friendship,  for me at least, is if I can tell them something they won't want to hear and we are still friends. Or I can receive it from them! Something that takes some guts to say, and grit to hear.

     I have a couple of old friends (over a decade. Hey, it's long for me!) that I just love being around. My dear oldest ever friend Taran called tonight. We talked about what's going on, high school days, how people change, how to get a baby to sleep through the night, mail, Gone With the Wind, my husband's deployment, her husband's Military orders, budgets, her kids, moving, kiddie pools, her {AwEsOmE!} momma, sugary treats we can't resist...and probably about 27 other things.

In less than a half hour. We are girls who cherish each other and know how to wring every drop from our time together. And as Army wives, we are necessarily efficient! Because we love each other too much to compare and put each other down, we make a great Lucy and Ethel. Well, both of us are actually Lucy's, but you get my point.

      My other champion friend for distance is Kim. She's the one I call when I need advice, or a listening ear, or have great news I must share. We actually could both talk your ear right off, but we usually share the spotlight. I can give her advice on crafting and decorating, art and style. She can help me with baby stuff (She's a doula and ushered both my girls into the world!) and spiritual matters, and kitchen help... Because we both have something to offer, but enjoy similar things, we have an amazingly easy friendship. Actually, we are more Lucy's. Taran and I tend to the Thelma and Louise dynamic!

      I love these dear friends and so many others. The reason we have stuck it out so many years though is because we are comfortable being ourselves with each other. I know myself, they know themselves, and there is no pretense or bad feelings, as we women so often deal with in our girl relationships. In other words, no drama!

     Do you have an awesome girlfriend? Let me know! If you want to post about her, I'll link you up. Just leave a comment.

1 comment:

  1. Aw.... now you're going to make me cry. Don't forget you are also one of the very few who could even THINK to tell me to throw out the "mom" jeans that make me look... well... you know.

    Love ya back friend!

    ReplyDelete