Friday, May 27, 2011

Style Guidelines Make It Easy

Okay, they make it easIER.


I have a few guidelines that I try to follow when it comes to styling my look. And when I stray from them, I usually regret it.

1) Know where to splurge and where to save. My splurges include:

a) shoes I wear a lot, such as my Ariat boots and Birkenstocks for summer.
b) jeans. I wear them tons and I'd rather have a few great pairs than a hundred so-so ones.
c)make up. I feel stronger about this one as I see more signs of aging on my face.

All of these tie into my signature look:, natural hair and clean but made up face, big sunglasses, jeans or a dress and statement shoes. In winter I also have a few great coats to pull it together.

2) Know what looks good on YOU. For me it's fitted but not too tight and slim or flared skirts and pants. I'm a total pear shape. I also look good in lilac, gray and pink but I can pull off almost any color. However I mostly buy denims, black and gray to gets as many outfits as possible with what I already have. It's been a slow integration but worth it!

3)Be as picky as possible. Your closet is the art museum, you are the curator. Only include what meets all your criteria for the most pleasing result. Don't settle for okay when amazing is attainable. Add to your collection very carefully.

While we all throw on a big tee shirt and pj pants some days, don't let the M.O.M. title lull you into complicity. I personally never feel better than when I am a little put together. Even if it is "just family." And okay, I dont mind being the most dressed person in the room. It's me!

I hope this blog gets your style mojo moving, and mine too! Please share your style guidelines with me, I am dying to hear what they are.
Ray Ban Wayfarers, gift from my husband. Leopard pea coat, 40.00 Forever 21, with Christmas money several year ago. Peony in hair, my back yard. (plant was hand-me-down from mom)

2 comments:

  1. Any chance you can help a not so savvy mom determine what styles are good for her shape?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's go for in person. Peyton and I are free most of this week.

    ReplyDelete